The Rapid Wheelmen encourages safe riding habits and observation of traffic laws. Not only does this increase your safety, but it also develops good relationships with motorists and the community.
Some basic tips are below, but also check out What Every Michigan Bicyclist Must Know for everything from rules of the road to fixing a flat, proper signaling, anatomy of a bike, wearing a helmet properly, buying a bike, and more.
- Always ride on the right side of the road (with traffic)
- Obey all traffic signs and laws - bicycles have the same rights AND rules as cars on the road
- Use hand signals to indicate turns
- Do not ride more than two abreast
- Always be aware of your surroundings - what traffic is doing around you, if there are potholes or other obstacles, etc.
- Wear a helmet. A helmet is required to participate in any club event; a well-fit and properly worn helmet can save you from unexpected serious injury.
- Wear bright colors during the day to increase your visibility to others on the road
- Wear light or reflective clothing at night to increase visibility
- Use a white headlight and a rear taillight or reflector when riding at night; it's Michigan law!
Other Resources (look underneath bike-friendly cities list)including bike laws by state, maintenance guide and riding tips, safety information, and cycling health benefits